Thursday, November 3, 2016

Day Three: "A Painting a Day" to Benefit the David Adler Music & Arts Center

"Feather" Series

Today's series of watercolors and monotypes was inspired by a feather I found while out and about gallery hopping in the city with a friend. I thought I would be most inspired by the art we had seen that day, but instead, I was fascinated by a feather I found in a home decor shop. I was drawn to the graphic spots and soft vanes that created new shapes each time I bristled them. I had no idea that this simple object would spark my imagination in so many ways.

"Brave Soul" by Stephanie Toral
7" x 5" Watercolor on Paper
Sold Framed as Shown
Click here to bid


"Feather Trio" by Stephanie Toral
Watercolor on Paper   Image Size: 10" x 8"   Framed Size" 19" x 16"
This piece is sold framed as shown in a 

"Seville" Bronze frame when the bid meets the BUY IT NOW price
Click here to bid
"Gentle Spirit" by Stephanie Toral
7" x 5" Watecolor on Paper
Sold Framed as Shown
Click here to bid

"Kind Heart" by Stephanie Toral
7" x 5" Watercolor on Paper
Sold Framed as Shown
Click here to bid




First, I created the watercolor, "Feather Trio." These three feathers
are painted on hand-made paper that is infused with gold metallic ink.

Next, I created the series of smaller paintings, "Gentle Spirit,"
"Brave Soul," and "Kind Heart." These are also watercolors painted on handmade paper. I love the soft way in which the paper absorbs the paint .

Finally, I chose to do something a bit bolder and more graphic with the image so this time I decided to create monotypes. Monotype is a unique process in which a combination of printmaking and painting techniques are used. To create these one-of-a-kind pieces, I painted the image with water soluable printmaking ink on a plexiglass plate. I then transferred the image to paper by using a hand-held metal press.


The term monotype is used to describe work developed on top of an unaltered plate,
utilizing its flat surface.
"Indigo Feather I"
by Stephanie Toral
5" x 7" Monotype
Click here to bid
"Indigo Feather II"
by Stephanie Toral
5" x 7" Monotype
Click here to bid














No comments:

Post a Comment