Thursday, September 15, 2011

"Orchard Fresh"

"A Painting a Day"
to Benefit The Lake County Haven

7" x 5" Watercolor & Gouache on Parchment
SOLD
This piece is sold framed as shown when bid
meets the price listed in the description.
10" x 8" Rustic Black frame.
Usher in the fall with freshly picked apples and Grandma's favorite recipe. Decorate for the harvest season with this vintage-inspired gem. I have several small framed pieces in my home that have a distinctive seasonal theme and I switch them out with the changing seasons.
I am enjoying making these antique looking pieces. The stains left by the tea, water and paint add character and a certain charm. I loosely painted the apples on top of a tea-stained piece of parchment partially printed with my grandma's recipe for apple jelly. I really let the paint and paper dictate where the color would finally settle on the piece. I find all of the ripples and drips very interesting. I prefer watercolor to other paints just for this reason. The water is a force unto itself and it will flow and settle with or without my hand guiding it. I often will just put down water onto the paper, then drop paint into and let them mingle as I walk away from a piece. When I return, I am usually pleasantly surprised with the result.
Purchasing this painting will, in part, help The Lake County Haven fulfill its mission to empower homeless women and their children to achieve permanent, independent living. Founded in 1992, the Haven fulfills its mission by providing shelter, housing, and professional services in support of its residents and graduates.

No comments:

Post a Comment